In Surah Ar-Ra’ad, ALLAH SWT has said:
…That which is for the good of mankind remains in the earth.”
Department of Medical Education is committed to promote excellence in teaching, support scholarship among medical educators, enhance the curriculum by supporting, recognizing and rewarding outstanding teachers, and by building community among medical educators both nationally and internationally.
DR. MUHAMMAD TARIQ GHAFOOR
PROFESSOR & HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
Medical education department was established by me in February 2010 in accordance with the guidelines of Pakistan medical and dental council (PMDC). Soon after its establishment the department set its objectives for first year and developed strategic plans. AlhammdoLillah by the grace of Almighty Allah we were able to achieve a great deal in a short span in spite of fact that we established a new department in a remote city with scarce resources and a lot of hardships and challenges.
Aims and Objectives;
We should be able to;
- Develop a system of faculty training according to modern principles of medical education. To improve delivery of education to students by faculty development initiative.
- Improve existing curriculum (e.g.by initiating the process of integration within the subjects) in accordance to the guidelines of PMDC and UHS.
- Implement the existing curriculum in structured manner by utilizing modern system of information transfer like problem based learning.
- Develop a new data base and develop Health management information system.
- Support educational research and enhance medical writing in institution.
- Develop a system of ethical review to improve patient safety in research.
- Develop and implement a system of quality assurance and audit.
- Review the workings of the Department of Medical Education in response to the needs of institution.
- Support other institutions in development of medical education projects.
- Motivate and train further educationists for the institution and province.
- Develop skill labs for both undergraduate and post graduate education.
Outcome for Undergraduates MBBS
Sheikh Zayed Medical College, Rahim Yar Khan 2019-2020
The graduates of Sheikh Zayed Medical College, Rahim Yar Khan would have the following competences.
- Competent to diagnose and treat the patient.
- Ethical and professional
- He would be able to transfer the knowledge, skills and attitudes.
- He would be a lifelong learner.
- He would be a health promoter.
- He would be a communicator.
- Leader and manager
- Critical thinker and innovator.
- Understand the Medico legal aspects of practice.
The Medical Education Department has dedicated to providing educational services to these students, and the community, which are consistent with SZMC mission statement and goals. The intent of these services is to improve the delivery of health care through the education of present and future health professionals and to improve community health through health awareness. Medical Education Department monitors’ all educational activities and examinations and strive to improve them.
Recognizing the challenges that result from rapid change in the structure of healthcare, SZMC is committed to facilitating excellence in practice and employee competency. The Education Department recognizes that cost effective education, training and developmental goals must be achieved and outcomes measured that signify quality and excellence. We intend to provide opportunity and resources for learning and staff development through collaboration with all Departments. To do so we are in process of development of integrated curriculum with emphasis on SPICES model.
Continuing Medical Education
DME is striving to develop and set the standards and monitor the quality of Continuing Medical Education (CME), and Continuing Professional Education (CPE).in order to do so apart from conducting a workshop DME is in process of developing an infrastructure for provision of credit hours of all educational activities.
Problem Based Learning
DME has introduced into the problem based learning as a mode of information transfer into existing curriculum. Two initial workshops have so far being conducted (one for faculty and other for the students.) By introduction of this new concept the DME is trying to develop qualities like problem solving critical thinking, leadership and lifelong learning among it’s under graduates.
Skill lab Development.
Skills lab facilities allow structured training of undergraduate medical students for the acquisition of clinical skills in a simulated and nothreatening learning environment. Since such skills labs train students using manikins, part-task-trainers or simulators, patient injuries arising from the inexperience of medical trainees can be prevented, thus fulfilling an ethical imperative .
DME has purchased all the basic manikins & simulators for development of skill lab for the institute. Soon after the administrative formalities the skill lab will start functioning.
- Research Support Cell
DME has established a cell for helping students conducting research in various fields. So far support has been provided to more than 50 post graduate trainees in conducting research.
- Training in Medical Education.
Three of our faculty members are currently students in Masters of health professions in Medical Education. They will complete masters in 2013 and will be an asset for DME SZMC.