DR. IMRAN BASHIR
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR & HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
History and Date of Establishment
Department of Pulmonology (formerly TB & Chest Department) is part of this old & historic institute which started as a civil hospital in 1928, upgraded to DHQ Hospital in 1952 and became a tertiary care hospital, affiliated with Sheikh Zayed Medical College, Rahim Yar Khan in March 2003.
Department of Pulmonology was established in 1974 as a complete unit under one roof comprising of a ward with bed strength of 36 (24 Male, 12 Female), a treatment room to perform procedures, a laboratory with facility to do basic tests including sputum for AFB smear a dedicated outpatient department and dispensary.
Initially, it was supervised by a Medical Officer, but in 1992; Government of the Punjab sanctioned and appointed a qualified Chest Specialist to head the unit. Dr. Masood Ul Haq served as first Head of Department from March 1992 to April 1996, followed by Dr. Abdus Salam Arshad from April 1996 to August 2006. From August 2006, Prof. Dr. Masood Ul Haq again resumed his services as Head of Department upto September 2020, playing a pivotal role in up-gradation of department. At present unit is headed by Associate Professor Dr. Imran Bashir since 04-09-2020.
With the start of Medical College, department has been upgraded as a teaching unit with sanctioned posts of Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor and Senior Registrar.
Department of Pulmonology is providing services to an estimated population of over 06 million from districts of Rahim Yar Khan, Bahawalpur, Rajanpur and adjoining areas of Sindh & Baluchistan. It has modern facilities for the Diagnosis & Management of Chest Diseases like, Fibroptic Bronchoscopy, Pulmonary Function Test (PFT), Ultrasonography (Diagnostic and Therapeutic), Pleural Aspiration, Intercostal Tube Insertion, Chemical Pleurodesis, Pleural Biopsy and Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsies etc in addition to basic laboratory tests. Facility for diagnosis of sleep related breathing problems is also available. With the co-operation of Radiology Department, one can have chest X-rays, Color Doppler as well as CT Chest & MRI on latest equipment. When indicated invasive procedures like USG & CT guided biopsies and aspiration are being performed by our department.
Department of Pulmonology is serving as a diagnostic & treatment center for the implementation of DOTS strategy for control of TB. Department has also established indoor and outdoor facility for the diagnosis and treatment of drug resistant tuberculosis through Global funding of WHO for people of Rahim Yar Khan as well as for the referred cases from all over district and adjoining areas.
Department of Pulmonology is recognized for FCPS and MCPS Pulmonology by College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan (CPSP). Seven doctors have passed FCPS Pulmonology and fours doctors have passed MCPS Pulmonology and working as consultants in different hospitals in Pakistan. The Department is also recognized by University of Health Sciences, Lahore for MD Pulmonology and induction of PGR is started presently one PGR of MD Pulmonology is being trained here and more are expected in next central induction.
Department of Pulmonology is actively involved in research work and projects on regular basis. Nine research papers and four editorials have already published in different international journals and many more are in pipe line. Seven dissertation based on original research conducted by FCPS trainees has also been completed and work on two dissertation is ongoing.
As a part of our efforts to continued medical education for doctors and public, department is engaged in arranging seminars / symposia & awareness programs on various occasions.
We are determined to further improve the services with grace of ALLAH Almighty and able guidance of our worthy principal, Prof. Dr. Tariq Ahmed. A new Pulmonology Department has already been planned in the new mega project of Sheikh Zayed Medical College and Hospital building, which is going to start soon. In this purposely-built building, various diagnostic, therapeutic, and academic activities will be organized more effectively. A number of new and latest equipments will be added in addition to improvement of the existing facilities. Govt. of Punjab has promised to provide the manpower including the senior faculty members, which will further improve the health care to people of this area.
Department of Pulmonology is working with the aim to provide the best Diagnostic and Therapeutic services to our patients, impart excellent training to undergraduate medical students and postgraduate doctors.
May ALLAH Almighty help us.
Head Of The Department:
|1.||Dr. Masood Ul Haq||TB & Chest Specialist||17-03-1992 to 03-04-1996|
|2.||Dr. Abdus Salam Arshad||Consultant Chest Physician||04-04-1996 to 16-08-2006|
|3.||Dr. Masood Ul Haq||Assistant Professor||17-08-2006 to 27-01-2014|
|4.||Dr. Masood Ul Haq||Associate Professor||28-01-2014 to 16-12-2015|
|5.||Prof. Dr. Masood Ul Haq||Professor||17-12-2015 to 03-09-2020|
|6.||Dr. Imran Bashir||Associate Professor||04-09-2020 till to date.|
Faculty Of The Department
DATE OF RECOGNITION OF DEPARTMENT:
- Department fully accredited for Training of FCPS & MCPS Pulmonology on 24- April-2010.
- Department fully accredited for Training MD Program on 2017.
PROGRESS, FACILITIES AND ACHIEVEMENT:
i. IMPROVEMENT IN THE EXISTING FACILITIES:
- Pulmonary Function Lab is already working with three Spirometers (Vitalograph, Spirolab II and Spirodoc). We are trying to get newer and more Sophisticated Spirometer to improve its working.
- Ward Library has already been started with some good and useful books, CD collection and journals. With the help of administration we will try to add more books and journals.
- CPAP / BiPAP Machines for Noninvasive ventilation are made available in the department.
- Provision of Transcutaneous Carban Dioxide Monitor is also available.
- New OPD has been started with improved facilities for patient’s management, dispensary and laboratory. It includes waiting area fitted with LCD TB which display / run important health awareness messages and videos to educate the patients and attendants about various aspects of treatment and prevention of disease.
- T Room has already been established with two modern computers & high speed internet for teaching and research purpose.
- Pleuroscopy is recently been introduced in order to supply the modern and latest health facility in the area.
- Dr. Masood Ul Haq approved as Supervisor for training and Examiner for FCPS & MCPS in the subject of Pulmonology.
- Six doctors have passed FCPS in Pulmonology.
- Four doctors have passed MCPS in Pulmonology.
- Two doctors have completed their training & appearing in FCPS final examination in 2018.
- Establishment of Indoor & Outdoor facility for programmatic Management of Drug Resistance TB (PMDT).
- Establishment of Mycobacterial Culture Lab. (work in progress).
- Department has started Pleuroscopy recently.
iii. RESEARCH PROJECTS
a. Published Research Paper
- Rizwan H M, Naz HS, Bashir I, Arsalan Ahmed Khan Durrani, et al. Outcome of Multidrug – Resistant Tuberculosis at Tertiary Care Hospital, Rahim Yar Khan. Journal Sheikh Zayed Medical College, Rahim Yar Khan 2019;10(4):6-10.
- Bashir I, Naz HS, Rizwan HM, Masood-Ul-Haq. Co-existence of Hepatitis B, C & HIV in Tuberculosis patients diagnosed in Pulmonology OPD in Sheikh Zayed Hospital, Rahim Yar Khan. Journal of Sheikh Zayed Medical College 2019;10(1): 1604-1608.
- Bashir I, Naz HS, Rizwan HM, Haq M. Co-infection of hepatitis b and c in tuberculosis patients at Sheikh Zayed Hospital, Rahim Yar Khan, Pakistan. JSZMC 2019;10(1): 1343-1346.
- Hafiz Muhammad Rizwan, Saeed Akhtar Malik, Abdul Salam, Muhammad Ahmad, Imran Bashir, Arsalan Ahmed Khan Durrani, et al. Radiological presentation of post primary tuberculosis in adult sputum smear positive patients. JSZMC 2017;8(1):1139-42.
- Masood-Ul-Haq, Salam A, Bashir I, Ahmad M, Rizwan HM, Durrani AAK, et al. Prevalence of resistance to 1st line anti tuberculosis drugs at rahim yar khan (Pakistan). JSZMC 2016;7(3):988-992.
- Rizwan HM, Masood-Ul-Haq, Ahmad M, Bashir I, Salam A, Ali RN, et al. Susceptibility Pattern of 2nd line Anti Tuberculosis Drugs at Rahim Yar Khan (Pakistan). JSZMC 2016;7(3):993-998.
- Masood-Ul-Haq, Ali S, Rasheed S, Rizwan H M, Arshad A S. Treatment outcome of tuberculosis patients registered at a tertiary care hospital under DOTS. JSZMC; Oct – Dec, 2014, Vol 05 No. 04:702-6.
- Masood-Ul-Haq, Arshad A S, Hakim A, Mehmood I, Ali S, Rasheed S. High prevalence of hepatitis B & C in TB patients – will it be the next threat to tuberculosis control? JSZMC; Apr – Jun, 2013, Vol 04 No. 02:427-31.
- Masood-Ul-Haq, Arshad A S, Hakim A, Mehmood I, Rasheed S, Ali S, Sohail I. Universal HIV testing for TB patient; is it really applicable universally? JSZMC; Oct – Dec, 2012, Vol 03 No. 04:371-74.
- Frequency Of Error Of Inhaler Technique In Patients Using Metered Dose Inhalers (MDIS) of Pulmonology, Sheikh Zayed Medical College/Hospital, Rahim Yar Khan. (submitted for approval)
- Delay In Diagnosis Of Tuberculosis & Associated Factors Among New Cases (Pulmonary & Extra Pulmonary) At Department of Pulmonology, Sheikh Zayed Medical
College/Hospital, Rahim Yar Khan. (submitted for approval)
- Role of Bronchial Washings Microscopy in the Diagnosis of Smear Negative Pulmonary Tuberculosis. (Approved)
- Frequency of Resistance to Rifampicin in Retreatment Cases of Pulmonary Tuberculosis at Rahim Yar Khan. (Approved)
- Efficacy and Safety of Iodopovidone as Pleurodesis Agent. (Approved)
- Radiological Presentation of Pulmonary Tuberculosis in Adult Sputum Smear Positive Patients at Department of Pulmonology, Sheikh Zayed Medical College / Hospital, Rahim Yar Khan. (Approved)
- Role of Induced Sputum Microscopy with Hypertonic Saline Nebulization in the Diagnosis of Pulmonary Tuberculosis. (Approved)
- Frequency of First Line Antituberculosis Therapy Induced Hepatotoxicity during Intensive Phase. (Approved)
- Outcome of Pleural Biopsy in Cases of Exudative Pleural Effusion. (Approved)
c. Published Editorial
- Masood-Ul-Haq. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease – A Growing Global Threat: Where we stand now? (Editorial) JSZMC; Oct – Dec, 2016, Vol 07 No. 04: 1036.
- Masood-Ul-Haq. War between TB and Mankind: Where we stand now? (Editorial) JSZMC; Jul – Sep, 2015, Vol 06 No. 03: 818.
- Masood-Ul-Haq. Assessment of Asthma Control an essential & often neglected component of Asthma management guidelines. (Editorial) JSZMC; Apr – Jun, 2013, Vol 04 No. 02: 421-22.
- Masood-Ul-Haq. World free of TB – Is this dream coming true? (Editorial) JSZMC; Jan – Mar, 2012, Vol 03 No. 01: 245.
d. EVENTS / FUNCTION / WORKSHOPS
- Workshop on Pulmonary Function Test (PFT’s) at Sheikh Zayed Medical College / Hospital, R.Y.Khan.
- Workshop on Arterial Blood Gases (ABG’s) at Sheikh Zayed Medical College / Hospital, R.Y.Khan.
- Workshop on Interpretation of Chest X – Ray at Sheikh Zayed Medical College / Hospital, R.Y.Khan.
IV. EQUIPMENTS & AUDIO VISUAL AIDS
- Pulse Oximeter.
- Pulmonary Function Test/Spirometry
- Spiro Lab II
- Oxygen Concentrator
- ECG Machine
- Resuscitation Trolley/Box
- Blood Pressure Apparatus
- Electric Suction Machine
- Fibroptic Bronchoscope with TV Monitor
- Pleural Aspiration Set
- True Cut Biopsy Needle
- Abraham’s Pleural Biopsy Needle
- Sleep Study Lab
- Pleuro Biopsy
- Auto Clave / Sterilizer
- Computer & Printer In Ward
- Audio – Visual Facilities Provided In Lecture Theaters
- ABG Analyzer Available in ICU
- CPAP / BiPAP
FUTURE PLANNING (انشاءاللہ)
NEW FACILITIES PLANNED TO BE ADDED IN NEAR FUTURE.
- Provision of four high dependency beds for male and female patients with facilities of Central Oxygen supply, monitoring of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide Saturation, Blood Pressure and CPAP / BiPAP for noninvasive ventilation.
- Purpose built Pleuroscopy and Bronchoscopy suits are in plan and will be ready soon, انشاءاللہ.
- A new Department of Pulmonology has already been planned in the new mega project of Sheikh Zayed Medical College and Hospital building which will become a really soon, انشاءاللہ.
- In this purposely-built building, Various Diagnostic, Therapeutic and Academic activities can be organized appropriately.
Department of Pulmonology is working with the aim to provide best Diagnostic & Therapeutic Services to our patients, impart excellent training to undergraduate medical students and postgraduate doctors.