History Of Rahim Yar Khan


Rahim Yar Khan (Urdu: رحیم یار خان)

is a famous city in the south of Punjab (Pakistan). Rahim Yar Khan is the capital city of Rahim Yar Khan District as well as the tehsil of the same name.
Rahim Yar Khan is one of the few cities in the world that are still at their pioneering places since the formation. It has been renamed customarily amid last 5000 years,
first available (on record) name was AROR or ALOR, and then it became City of Pattan, Phul Wada, Noshehra and now Rahim Yar Khan.When Alexander gained victory over Multan, he appointed General Philipos to rule Multan and Uch and advanced himself towards Alor. The country remained under Philops, who was afterwards driven out by Poros after the death of Alexander. This part of the country is also said to have been a part of the Buddhist Empire of Ashoka. Authenticated history of the district begins by about 493 A.D. when Raja dynasty of Rai dynasty came to the throne. In the Rai dynasty dominions were vast, extending from Kashmir and Kanauj to Kandhar and Seistan and on the west to Mekran and a part of Debal, while on the south to Surat. Their capital was Alor and during their rule Sindh was divided into four provinces of Bahmanabad, Siwistan, Chachpur and the province consisting of Multan and west Punjab. The Rai dynasty governed Sindh for 137 years and met its fate when the king Rai Sahasi 11, allowed a Brahman Chach to gain influence in his kingdom. On the death of Rai Sahasi 11, Chach married his widow and established himself on the throne after killing the rightful heir of the Rai.
Rahim Yar Khan was declared as a separate administration district in 1943. The district derives its name from its headquarter Rahim Yar Khan. The previous name of this district was Naushehra, which was built in 1875 A.D by Fazal Elahi Halani on the ruins of the ancient Pul-Wadda during the Sumra supremacy in Sindh. In the year 1881, the Railway Authorities desired to change the name of a railway station in the name of a town called Nowshera situated in Peshawar district. Consequently in 1881 to avoid any confusion because of similar nomenclature Nawab Sadiq Khan-IV of Bahawalpur also changed the name of the sub-division Naushera after the name of his first son Rahim Yar Khan. Formerly Rahim Yar Khan was also one of the names of the three districts of the former princely State of Bahawalpur until 1955.
Today, Rahim Yar Khan lies on an important train route which runs south to Sukkur and north to Bahawalpur.

Higher Education
A campus of Islamia University, Bahawalpur is located in the city, comprising two buildings:

  1. Liaqat Campus near to Khwaja Fareed college, teaching Computer Science and Management Science.
  2. Jinah Campus, 2 km away near Hafiz colony, teaching Education and Commerce. Additionally, there is the Sheikh Zayed Medical College & Hospital.
Sheikh Zayed Medical College
There is a medical college named Sheikh Zayed Medical College. Establishment of Sheikh Zayed Medical College in the city has put the city on International map and the recent recognition of this college by Pakistan Medical & Dental Council has usher in an entirely new horizon in medical education and patient care. Presence of Professional staff in the city will improve quality of diagnosis and patient care in this area. In future this medical college can become a centre of post graduate medical education and a medical university with special links with Middle East and the world.
Sheikh Zayed Airport
Sheikh Zayed Airport, also known as Rahim Yar Khan Airport, is located nearby. It is named in honour of Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, as it was originally built for his exclusive use, so that he may visit his “Desert Palace” just outside the city; he later donated it to the Government of Pakistan. Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) operates daily flights to Karachi and selected week days flights to Lahore, Faisalabad and Islamabad. PIA recently started weekly direct flights from Abu Dhabhi (capital of United Arab Emirates) to Rahim Yar Khan and back. A convenience to UAE-Pakistani dwellers. it is a place where you can enjoy all of the facilities

Places Of Interest

1) Rahim Yar Khan City
The city is situated in the centre of the district. It is a prominent railway junction, on the main line of Pakistan Railways, between Lahore and Karachi . It is at a distance of 634 kilometers from Karachi, 566 kilometers from Lahore and 176 kilometers from Bahawalpur . Shahi Road, Railway road,Colony Haji Mohammad, Colony Gulberg road and Hospital road are the important roads in the city. Zaffar Market, New Sadiq Bazaar, Sadar Bazaar and Grain Market are the shopping centre in the city. A stadium known as Mahmood Stadium is situated at a distance of one kilometers from the city. It has a seating capacity for 15,000 persons and contains grounds for cricket, football, hockey and volley ball. There is Sadiq Club, which is located in Officers Colony and have spacious games. It has a swimming pool and vast halls. There are spacious grounds for various games. It has a swimming pool and vast halls. There are three swimming pools in the city.
2) Unilever
Unilever The international manufacturers of most famous brands of world like Sunsilk, Walls, Lux etc. has one of their major factories of Pakistan in Rahim Yar khan. It is located right in the city centre beside Railway Station.
3) Fauji Fertilizer Factory, Machi Goth
This factory is 5 km far from Sadiqabad and one of the biggest fertilizer factories in Asia . It was built by Fauji Foundation which serves retired army personnel. It was constructed in 1974 and was completed in 1979. Later on one more plant was established along with the previous one to increase the production capacity . Now Fauji Foundation owns two more plants in Karachi (Known as FFBL) and Mir pur Mathelo (known as FFC -III ).
4) Pattan Minar
The ruins of Pattan Minar are located at a distance of about 8
kilometers in south-east of Rahim Yar Khan. It has variously been described as the remains of Asahoka period, who built it in 250 BC or a Buddhist monastery. Nearby the minar, remains of a fort, a mosque and some tunnels are also visible. About 110 years ago Colonel Minchin a political agent of Ex-Bahawalpur state started the excavation of these tunnels but discontinued digging for some reasons or other. According to Colonel Toy it was the capital of the Hindu kingdom in 10 AD. In the mid-eighteenth century Fazal Elahi Khan Halani a Daupauta chief destroyed it and used its materials in the construction of Baghla and Dingar Fort.
5) Bhong Mosque
It is situated in the village Bhong at a distance of 28 kilometres from Sadiqabad and 53 kilometres from Rahim Yar Khan. It was constructed by Rias Ghazi Muhammad, a big landlord of Bhong. It has beautiful design of arts and crafts, with marble stones of various kinds and colours. It is well electrified with chandeliers of different kinds. It is a beautiful piece of architecture.
6) Palace Sultan Of Abu Dehbi
It is built by Sheikh Zayed- Bin-Sultan, ruler of Abu Dhabi. It is situated in sandy desert of Cholistan at a distance of 18 kilometers south-east from Rahim Yar Khan. It has large and spacious buildings having two separate portions for ladies and gentlemen. Each portion contains rooms and chambers. There are beautiful lawns in it having different beds of flowers along the well-shaped roads. Many domestic birds like peacocks are also kept there. Sultan of Abu Dhabi visits this district for hunting and stays in this palace.